Saturday, December 19, 2015

Dear IBD Family...


     I debated for awhile over whether I should post this or not. I've been on a short hiatus from social media, because frankly I was burned out. It's always a challenge to stay positive when you and the majority of your friends have serious health problems, so from time to time I think it's a good idea for chronically ill people to take a break and focus on themselves. On top of that, I'd had several negative interactions with others which made me question whether it was worth it to be a part of the community at all. I was afraid of being accused of attention-seeking behavior for talking about my problems. So I left for awhile.

     There was definitely a part of me that considered just saying nothing and returning to social media a few weeks or months after my procedure. I wasn't in the mood for answering a lot of questions or defending my choices. It would have been easier, that's for sure. But it wouldn't have been the right thing to do. I have made many wonderful friends through social media, and I want to be honest about my situation. I also don't want anyone to worry unnecessarily. So... Here we go.

     I will be having surgery on Wednesday (12/23). I will be having a total proctocolectomy with permanent end ileostomy. This decision was made for a variety of reasons, and my surgeon and I feel that it will result in the best outcome for me. This means that I will be in the hospital for Christmas, but after being diagnosed on my birthday in 2011, it feels like the natural progression of events. ;)

     I'm not sure how much I'll be around social media before or after the surgery. Please don't be offended if I don't answer messages or texts. I've got a lot going on right now and really have no idea what shape I will be in after surgery. I appreciate the support so many of you have given me. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. Hugs!

Love,
Sarah

   

2 comments:

  1. Just found you on twitter. Sorry to hear about the upcoming surgery, but I'm glad you found a surgeon you can trust. I also acknowledge the "we fill this will result in the best outcome for me" line. Too often we let friends, family, even our other doctors get in the way of the important decisions. Sometimes you just need to take the leap and do what you feel is the right move. Wishing you smooth sailing--give me an update on twitter when you're feeling up to it! @Ilanajacqueline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Surgery went well. Just taking recovery one day at a time. :) Sarah

      Delete